Michigan water chief apologizes after drinking water tainted with arsenic
A Michigan water department official has apologized after drinking a bottle of water laced with arsenic.
Read moreFlint water chief Rick Schulze posted a note on Twitter Monday night apologizing for his “poor judgment.”
“I am deeply sorry for the unintentional actions of drinking water contaminated with arsenic, and I accept full responsibility for the error,” the statement read.
“I am also deeply sorry to my family and all the residents of Flint.”
A spokesperson for the Flint Water Department told CNN affiliate WWJ that the city has tested its water and found no traces of the deadly substance.
Schulze, who served as a senior vice president for public affairs at the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, is also an elected official and a member of the board of directors for the Michigan State University Flint Water Treatment Plant.
The incident comes on the heels of several cases of contamination in Flint water systems.
On Monday, an EPA official confirmed that a Flint resident who lived in a home with lead pipes was poisoned by the city’s water supply in late October.
The state said it has tested more than 1,000 samples from the Flint water supply.
The Department of Health has also released a statement saying the city is on track to meet its legal targets for reducing lead levels in the water supply and will continue to work to make improvements.